NY Science Standards Framework
NYSSLS (NYS Science Learning Standards)
- A document illustrating the variation between the draft NYSSLS and NGSS can be found here. Please be aware that this document only includes the performance expectations and aspects of the DCIs that were altered by NYSED. Thus, this document does not represent the totality of the draft NYSSLS.
- The latest edition of Learning leadership is all about the next generation of New York State Science Learning Standards. It provides a succinct description of the standards and the changes to science education we will soon begin to implement.
Articles related to NGSS
- DCIs, SEPs, and CCs Oh MY! Understanding the Three Dimensions of NGSS - This article provides a clear overview of three dimensional learning.
- Addressing Three Common Myths About the Next Generation Science Standards - This articles written by a New York State teacher brings clarity to common misconceptions about NGSS.
- The Next Generation Science Standards: Where are we now and what have we learned - In this article Steve Pruitt articulates the top ten things he has learned about the NGSS.
Resources Related to NGSS (Next Generation Science Standards)
Through a collaborative, state-led process, new K–12 science standards have been developed that are rich in content and practice and arranged in a coherent manner across disciplines and grades to provide all students an internationally benchmarked science education. The Next Generation Science Standards are based on the Framework for K–12 Science Education developed by the National Research Council.
- NGSS@NSTA - National Science Teachers Association hub page for NGSS
- Explore NGSS - NGSS Resources web site (Access to Standards and Appendices) Home page is at www.nextgenscience.org
Resources Related to Framework
A Framework for K-12 Science Education: Practices, Crosscutting Concepts, and Core Ideas (NRC, 2012) was the first step in the process of developing the Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS) (NGSS Lead States, 2013). This document builds from current research in the field of science education to illustrate the vision and grounding principles of the NGSS. Essentially this document helps us better understand the standards themselves by providing context, the principles of each of the three dimensions of the NGSS, and the vision for the full integration of the dimensions.
- Starting to understand the NGSS requires understanding the A Framework for K-12 Science Education: Practices, Crosscutting Concepts, and Core Ideas (NRC, 2012). This document was written by the National Research Council.
Note: One copy is allowed to be downloaded per person.
- The NSTA Reader’s Guide to the A Framework for K-12 Science Education: Practices, Crosscutting Concepts, and Core Ideas
Prior to the creation of the Framework identified about, the National Research Council developed two documents that synthesized research related to science education and to then help to begin to develop an understanding of how that research might translate in the classroom.
- The synthesis of the research and the ability children have to engage in deep science learning experiences is included in Taking Science To School: Learning and Teaching Science in Grades K-8 (NRC, 2007). One copy per person of this document is available for free in PDF format from the National Academies Press.
- The companion document to Taking Science to School, which was written for science teachers, is Ready, Set, Science: Putting Research to Work in K-8 Classrooms (Shouse & Schwweingruber, 2008). One copy per person of this document is available for free in PDF format from the National Academies Press.
Resources Related to New York State Standards
- New York State’s Statewide Strategic Plan for Science Updated and past information related to the upcoming New York State Science Learning Standards (standards based on the NGSS).