School Counselor Resources
These resources might be helpful to school counselors and guidance counselors.
13 Reasons Why Resources
Regulations and Requirements
Here are NYS Education Department updates that help define the School Counselor Role and Education requirements. Also included are helpful links for Counselors as they advise students.
- Update on Proposed Amendments to Sections 52.21 and 100.2(j) and Addition of a new Section 80-3.11 of the Commissioner’s Regulations Relating to School Counseling, Certification Requirements for School Counselors and Program Registration Requirements for School Counselor Preparation Programs.
- 100.2 General School Requirements
- 100.7 State High School Equivalency Diploma
Developing Guidance/Counseling Plans
- School Counseling Plan Development
- Appendix 1 - Resources
- Appendix 2 - Sample Agenda for 1st Advisory Council Meeting
- Appendix 3 - NYS Counselor Program Requirements Assessment
- Appendix 4 - Sample Program Vision, Mission and Goals
- Appendix 5 - How are students different as a result of what we do?
- Appendix 6 - School Counseling Program Practices Assessment
- Appendix 7 - NYSED CDOS Student Standards
- Appendix 8 - The ASCA Mindsets and Behaviors for Student Success
- Appendix 9 - Sample Agenda for 2nd Advisory Council Meeting
- Appendix 10 - Sample Agenda for 3rd Advisory Council Meeting
- Appendix 11 - Sample Plan Format
- Appendix 12 - School Counseling Program Map (ASCA and NYSED regulations)
- Appendix 13 - School Counseling Program Map (NYSED regulations only)
The American School Counselor Association (ASCA) model will guide Counseling Plans as we move forward. New York State Education Department is in the process of adopting the ASCA Model for all NYS schools.
- ASCA Ethical Standards
- ASCA - Role of the school counselor
- ASCA School Counselor Competencies
- ASCA Framework for School Counseling Programs Executive Summary
- ASCA Research supporting the value of School Counselors
- NYSSCA Guidance Plan Development
- North Carolina School Counselor’s webpage