ADAPEP Staff Competencies
In order to do the ADAPEP job, counselors need specialized skills and knowledge. The following is a list of competencies which all ADAPEP staff need to develop. New personnel may not have all of these competencies immediately, but over time they will be expected to develop them through staff development and training
- Understand the Bio-Psycho-Social model which explains the reasons for and consequences of risky behavior, including the use and abuse of alcohol and other drugs.
- Understand the multi-faceted concept of "prevention" -- what works; what doesn't.
- Be knowledgeable of the life skill areas which make up the basis of our classroom or group instruction: stress, communication, decision-making, age-appropriate information and self concept (character) development, media literacy, emotional literacy.
- Be able to write an interactive lesson plan complete with objectives and with process experience built in (small group work, activities which engage students, etc.).
- Be knowledgeable about best teaching practices.
- Be a resource to staff re: information and agencies
- Be familiar with child abuse reporting procedures and understand the possible repercussions of making a report from the school, family, and child's perspective.
- Be able to communicate with parents, staff, and administration regarding program issues.
- Be able to communicate with parents on issues related to their children.
- Have an understanding of group dynamics and be able to facilitate a small group discussion.
- Be able to link people/schools to community resources.
- Do crisis/pre-crisis interventions/referrals.
- Know how to access information.
- Understand the legal issues surrounding confidentiality.
- Prepare and monitor service plans.
- Have an understanding of resiliency, protective factors, and how to increase them.
- Understand the issues connected with being a child from a chaotic, alcoholic or substance-abusing family.
- Understand the emotional needs of students and their effects on behavior and learning.
- Understand the many factors which place kids at risk for using substances.
- Understand the effects of advertising on young people.
- Understand the impact of poor social adjustment: bullying, inability to make friends, anger management, ADHD and anxiety.
- Understand the concept of peer leadership and why it works.
- Appreciate the many ways that peer leadership can be implemented.
- Understand the concept of positive alternatives.
- Understand the genetic components to the disease of addiction.
- Understand the issues related to being the child of an alcoholic or other substance abuser.
- Know the basic classifications of drugs and some examples of each (hallucinogens, depressants, stimulants, inhalants, etc.).
- Know the signs and symptoms of adolescent (pre-adolescent) use and abuse.
- Understand the biological benefits of popular drugs
ADAPEP Staff Responsibilities
- Implementation of the district workplan and workplan review.
- Planning and implementation of primary prevention activities for students.
- Meeting with the building principal or his/her designee periodically to review your program and whether it meets his/her expectations.
- Interacting with school personnel, parents, pupils, and community groups to foster an understanding of the prevention of alcohol and other drug use.
- Providing resources for classroom teachers for substance abuse prevention.
- Individually counseling students in order to prevent alcohol/drug abuse or to intervene in drug/alcohol related problems.
- Communicating with community organizations and agencies for the purpose of program coordination and making referrals.
- Maintaining close communication with the ADAPEP program director and building administrator to enhance the proper functioning of the total program.
- Maintain records that are mandated by OASAS.
- Continually update program with newest information and methods in the field of alcohol and substance abuse.
- Other activities as approved by the Program Director and building administrator.
ADAPEP Staff Listing
|Janel Payette - Coordinator||OCM BOCES Main Campus||433-2660|
|Cathy Stone - Information Aide||OCM BOCES Main Campus||433-2609|
|Kathy Miller - Consultant||OCM BOCES Main Campus|
|Chittenango||Julie Baran - Bolivar Road Elementary||687-2880|
|Edward Blanch - Chittenango Middle School||687-2800|
|Colleen Davis - Bolivar Road Elementary||687-2880|
|Lisa Murray - Chittenango High School||687-2911 (ext. 6302)|
|Andrea Orioli - Bridgeport Elementary||687-2280|
|East Syracuse-Minoa||Nancy Chapellier - Pine Grove Middle School||434-3052|
|Janel Herrington - Fremont Elementary School||434-3480|
|Fabius-Pompey||Daniel Piorkowski - Fabius-Pompey Middle/High School||683-5460|
|Jamesville-DeWitt||Will Hartley - JD High School||445-5256|
|Heather Meyer - JD Middle School||445-8267|
|Jordan-Elbridge||Kerry Brogan - Jordan-Elbridge Middle School||689-8529|
|LaFayette||Kristeen Cool - LaFayette Junior/Senior High School||677-7849|
|William O'Leary - Grimshaw Elementary||677-3152|
|Liverpool||Anna Cusimano - Morgan Road Elementary School||453-1268 (ext. 3048)|
|Beth Serafin - Soule Road Middle School||453-1283|
|North Syracuse||MaryBeth Muster (Joanna McClellan substitute until 1/1/2021)
Allen Road Elementary
Bear Road Elementary
Lakeshore Road Elementary
|Elaine Ormsbee - Gillette Road Middle School||218-3026|
Smith Road Elementary
|Catherine Sullivan-White - Roxboro Road Middle School||218-3306|
|Onondaga Central||Susan Orecki - Wheeler Elementary
Amy Stanton - Onondaga Junior/Senior High School
|OCM BOCES||Kristin Brangman - Innovation Tech||453-4417|
|Skaneateles||Marcy Weed - Skaneateles Waterman Primary School||291-2223|
|Solvay||Karen Pickett - Solvay Elementary School||488-5422|
|Syracuse Diocese||Lyndsey Creed - Immaculate Conception School||637-3961|
Cathedral at Our Lady of Pompeii
St. Margaret's School
Most Holy Rosary
St. Mary's Academy
St. Rose of Lima
|Tully||Jennifer Newton - Tully Junior-Senior High School||696-6238|
|West Genesee||Lisa Eipp - Split Rock Elementary||487-4656|
|Susan Hayes-Penhollow - Stonehedge Elementary - Gold||487-4631|
|Barbara Randall - Onondaga Road Elementary||487-4653|
|Gretchen Rose - East Hill Elementary||487-4648|
|Susan Sheehan - Stonehedge Elementary - Blue||487-4633|
Cherry Road Elementary
Onondaga Hill MS
426-3300 (ext. 3337)
426-3400 (ext. 3434)