English Language Arts & Literacy Archives
In this three part series we will focus on two critical questions:
- How does ensuring a clear understanding of curriculum, instruction, and assessment drive learning for all students?
- How do leaders best support teachers engaged in this work?
While we continue to build capacity towards the integration of Next Generation Learning Standards, we will work to build a deeper understanding of literacy research and it’s implications for instruction. Our goal is to provide the resources necessary to improve instruction, align with the Next Generation Learning Standards, and improve the literacy achievement for all students in our region.
- October 22, 2019
Presentation by Dr. Timothy Shanahan of the University of Illinois, Chicago on literacy research findings, it’s implications for educators and a framework for improving literacy achievement.
- February 5, 2020
- May 5, 2020
- October 24, 2018
Understand the complexities of literacy and capitalize on students’ literacy strengths to support next steps
- February 26, 2019
Develop expertise to support next steps for the implementation of the standards
- May 7, 2019
Revisit and strengthen instructional practices
- October 2, 2017
- February 1, 2018
- Exit Ticket Responses
- Session 2 PowerPoint
- Advanced Literacies Briefs:
- Topic Brief One: Advanced Literacies for Academic Success
- Topic Brief Two: What Goes Into Effective Reading Comprehension
- Topic Brief Three: Hallmark One of Advanced Literacies Instruction: Engaging, Content-rich Texts
- Topic Brief Four: Hallmark Two of Advanced Literacies Instruction: Classroom Discussion
- Topic Brief Five: Hallmark Three of Advanced Literacies Instruction: Building Written Language
- Topic Brief Six: Hallmark Four of Advanced Literacies Instruction: Academic Vocabulary and Language
- Nonie Lesaux's Keynote Presentation from New York State Next Generation Learning Standards: Supporting All Students Conference on November 30, 2017:
- Homework for March 20
- March 20, 2018