The OCM BOCES Literacy department is committed to building an understanding of curriculum, instruction and assessment grounded in evidence-based practices, including the principles of the science of reading. The science of reading refers to the inclusion of all the methods or approaches that have been found, through a wide breadth and depth of research, to help students achieve in learning to read. The science of reading reflects not a narrow view but rather a broad commitment to all of the things found to benefit children as they learn to read. Phonological Awareness, Phonics, Vocabulary, Fluency & Comprehension are the key building blocks to successful literacy instruction.
OCM BOCES continues to support evidence-based literacy regionally, locally and individually. Our range of services and offerings includes but is not limited to:
- Effective Literacy Leadership for K-6 Principals
- Effective Literacy Coaching Collaborative
- Literacy Leadership Network
- Literacy Mini Courses
- Book Studies (Brain Words, The Writing Revolution, Disrupting Thinking...)
- Voyager Sopris: LETRS Vol. 1 & 2, LETRS Facilitator Training, REWARDS, Language Live! & Step Up to Writing
- Comprehensive Literacy Audits
- ELA Standards and Curriculum Implementation
- Foundations in the Science of Reading
- Advanced Science of Reading
- Literacy coaching support (new teachers, AIS, instructional coaches, interventionists, administrators)
- Program and Intervention Support
In addition to the aforementioned, below you will find various resources that will help you build literacy knowledge.
OCM BOCES Padlets (updated regularly)
The following padlets were created to help educators learn more about resources aligned with the principles of the science of reading, as well as provide a place where those educators using different core reading programs or interventions could come to view program materials, research and resources to aid instruction.
What the Research Says
Institute of Education Sciences-What Works Clearinghouse
- IES Practice Guide: Improving Reading Comprehension in Kindergarten Through 3rd Grade
- IES Companion Guide: Foundational Skills to Support Reading for Understanding in Kindergarten Through 3rd Grade
- Teaching Elementary School Students to Be Effective Writers
- Teaching Secondary Students to Write Effectively
- Effective Literacy and English Language Instruction for English Learners in the Elementary Grades
Regional Educational Laboratory (REL) Southeast
- Professional Learning Community (PLC) Facilitators Guide
To support educators in the implementation of recommendations from the What Works Clearinghouse's Practice Guide Foundational Skills to Support Reading for Understanding in Kindergarten Through 3rd Grade.
Additional Sources of Research
We are committed to building your professional learning library. These are some of the titles we have led book studies in this year. If you have a title you'd like to form a book study around, contact Kathryn Daughton: email@example.com
Open Educational Resources for Educators
- EL Education: Open Educational Resource (OER) K-8 ELA Curriculum
- Core Knowledge Curriculum: includes many free curricular materials that can be downloaded.
- Match Fishtank: Free K-12 ELA & Math curriculum
- Really Great Reading: free assessments, curriculum, PD and other resources.
- Sounds First: free phonemic awareness curriculum and assessments for K-2.
- Bookworms: free and open K-5 reading and writing curriculum.
- Curriculum Evaluation Tool: from The Reading League