School Counselor Resources
These resources might be helpful to school counselors and guidance counselors.
13 Reasons Why Resources
Regulations and Requirements
Here are NYS Education Department updates that help define the School Counselor Role and Education requirements. Also included are helpful links for Counselors as they advise students.
Developing Guidance/Counseling Plans
The American School Counselor Association (ASCA) model will guide Counseling Plans as we move forward. New York State Education Department is in the process of adopting the ASCA Model for all NYS schools.
- NYSSCA has a resource to help you (old format)
- Here is a checklist of the Part 100.2(j) requirements you can use to assess your current state (old format)
- NYSSCA Comprehensive Counseling Program Map which can also serve as a plan template (old format)
- New York State Comprehensive Model (old format)
- ASCA National Model overview (see Professional Development opportunity below)
- Five Bits of Advice for ASCA National Model Implementation
- Remember, the purpose of the ASCA National Model is to do more school counseling.
- Keep it simple.
- The ASCA National Model is even more important when you have a large caseload.
- The ASCA National Model gives you the tools to take things off your plate.
- Take advantage of experts in your district.
- Valid, new Comprehensive School Counseling Plans
All meetings will be located at OCM BOCES Main Campus, Liverpool.
- Counselor Round Tables
These round tables provide professional development on topics that are pertinent to K-12 school counselors. A time for networking will be provided at the end of each round table. Bring your best practices and “Need to Know” items and you will come away with a plethora of ideas for your School Counseling Program.
- Tuesday, October 29, 2019 - Canandaigua conference room
- Wednesday, February 26, 2020 - Cayuga conference room
- Wednesday, April 29, 2020 - Cayuga conference room